Table of Contents
Wake Forest Fire Department UAS Flight Debrief
Flight Time: 20 Minutes
Provide information to assist firefighting operations.
What Went Well:
The following items were conducted without incident:
- A safe landing zone (LZ) was established in front of the location on the quiet street.
- Thermal information was obtained and given to BC on request.
- The thermal camera identified primary and secondary targets of interest.
- The primary target turned out to be hard to hit since it was located inside of a small dog house.
- Secondary targets were identified.
- Battalion Chief (BC) and pilot stood at fire location and compared the actual situation with various additional palettes from the thermal camera above.
- It was an excellent opportunity for BC and pilot to work together on a small outside fire to begin an exchange of information and a flow that can be applied to larger outside fire situations.
What Could Have Gone Better:
I do need to inquire about the best way to identify directions and items in an outside fire situation.
Recommendations From Flight:
I have no flight recommendations since all equipment operated within limits. The ability to share thermal information that was actionable was a good experience. In cases where the investigation of the residual thermal impact is needed, the aerial platform provides a unique view.
You can see the extent of the thermal event in the previous image and how the heat had radiated outwards towards the direction of the neighboring house.
[contact-form][contact-field label=”Name” type=”name” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Email” type=”email” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Website” type=”url” /][contact-field label=”Message” type=”textarea” /][/contact-form]